75 Melodious and Progressive Studies, Op. 36 – Book 1 Schirmer - Violin Method - Mazas
Opus 36, Book 1
Publisher: G. Schirmer, Inc.
Composer: Jacques-Féréol Mazas
Editor: William Herrmann
Mazas created an all-encompassing technique book, providing foundations in many of the techniques that are needed to master the art of violin performance.
Techniques taught in these études include...
- melodious tone-development with dynamic contrasts
- 'sweeping strokes'
- 'firm' strokes, ie, martelé/marcato
- detached/sustained strokes aka detaché
- singing tones
- bow divisions
- march with dotted rhythms/hooked bowings
- staccato at the point
- string crossing without lifting the bow
- preparatory exercises for trilling
- various bowings
- double stops
This is the first of 3 books of etudes.
- Etudes spéciales (1 to 30)
- Etudes brillantes (31 to 56)
- Etudes d’artistes (57 to 75)